ULS GARD PELLETS
Uls Gard Pellets for gastric health in horses & ponies
- Advanced and effective pelleted formulation to help maintain digestive health and comfort.
- Contains key ingredients to help support gastric health, including pectins, lecithin, aloe vera, marshmallow root, glycine, liquorice.
- Slow-release calcium and magnesium from marine algae, to help maintain a healthy gut pH. Beta glucans from high nucleotide yeast to support gastric content viscosity and soothe the stomach wall.
- On a palatable alfalfa and soya hulls base, to provide a protective fibrous mat and provide additional buffering.
- BETA NOPS and UFAS accredited, ensuring our products do not contain prohibited substances and are suitable for horses competing under FEI regulations and the Rules of Racing.
Competition horses are subject to stress from schooling, travelling and work load
Horses are designed to trickle feed – grazing for up to 16 hours a day. This means that they need to constantly secrete acid to help digest this almost continual source of food entering their stomach. A grazing horse will also produce up to 9 gallons of saliva a day which as well as lubricating the food, also acts to buffer or neutralize the acid.
Furthermore, the physical presence of food in the stomach acts as a protective “mat” or barrier, helping to prevent acid splashing on to the upper, unprotected areas of the stomach. So if access to forage (pasture, hay, haylage) is restricted, acid continues to be produced, and with restricted chewing time, less saliva is produced to buffer the acid.
The lower portion of the stomach (the glandular area), where the acid is produced, is naturally protected including mucous production and bicarbonate secretion, but the upper portion of the stomach (squamous area) has no such protection. If the horse is worked with a mainly empty stomach, when he trots, canters or jumps, or even just tenses his abdominal muscles, this acid can splash or be squeezed up to the unprotected area of the stomach.
The horse has a small stomach, and food does not stay in there for very long, so even short periods during the day without access to forage can cause problems.
In addition to restricted access to forage, there are other factors which have been reported to increase the incidence and severity of ulcers, including:
- Stress – social stressors such as bullying from stable neighbours or herd mates , or box location ( for example near the feed room or muck heap, resulting in increased activity past the door) have been shown to increase the risk of ulcers
- High starch diets – may result in increased volatile fatty acid production in the stomach, which may in turn result in abnormalities with sodium transport leading to cell damage in the stomach.
- Limited turnout and reduced access to natural antioxidants from grass
- Intense training and competition schedules and frequent travelling, especially long distance.
Benefits of Uls-Gard Pellets
- Natural support for gut health and comfort (Calcium, magnesium, lecithin, pectin, glycine).
- Key ingredients to soothe the stomach wall (Aloe vera, marshmallow root, liquorice).
- Beta Glucans from high nucleotide yeasts to support a healthy gastric mucosa.
- Alfalfa and soya hulls base to provide a protective fibrous mat.
- Palatable and easy to mix for fussy feeders.
- Suitable for foals at a reduced serving rate.
Uls-Gard contains ingredients to soothe and coat the stomach, providing support against stresses
As a result of the environment, work and the feeding regimes that domestic horses are exposed to, the stomach can become irritated and sensitivities can occur. This combined with large amounts of concentrated feed can result in the stomach becoming irritated and sensitive.
This results in a loss of condition and performance.
Uls-Gard should be added to each feed for all competition horses, and those on high concentrate diets.
Uls-Gard can continue to be fed whilst the horse is in competition.
Pellets available in 3kg (30 day supply at maintenance) & 10kg (100 servings)
ULS-GARD™ PELLETS- A complementary feed for horses designed to support gastric and digestive system health, as part of a balanced diet.
Feeding Directions: For 500kg horse; 100g per day (may be divided between two feeds). Maximum; 200g per day, if required. 50g (approx) measure enclosed.
Additives (per kg): Technological additives: 1c322i Lecithin 15,125mg, Diatomaceous Earth (purified) E551c 25,000mg. Sensory additives: Glycine (2b17034) 5,000mg, Mixture of flavouring compounds.
Composition: Soya Hulls (from genetically modified sources), Wheatfeed, Dried Alfalfa, Maerl, Apple Pectin, Magnesium Oxide, Yeast Products, Soya Oil (from genetically modified sources), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Powder, Liquorice Root Powder.
Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 11.0%, Crude Oils & Fats 4.3%, Sodium 0.3%, Magnesium 2.3%, Crude Fibre 17.7%, Crude Ash 24.1%, Calcium 5.0%.
Produced in the UK, Equine America (UK) Ltd.
Equine America Uls-Gard Pellets have been formulated using carefully selected ingredients to help maintain gastric health and comfort including:
Slow release calcium and magnesium from marine algae, to help balance the gut pH.
Lecithin – a special type of fat which helps to protect and repair the cells lining the stomach
Pectins, Marshmallow root and Liquorice – to help produce mucilage which acts as a physical protective barrier for the unprotected upper portion of the stomach
Aloe Vera and Glycine – to help support the gastric mucosa (lining of the stomach).
High nucleotide yeast to provide beta glucans which help to increase the viscosity of stomach contents, and provide nutritional support for a healthy gastric mucosa (stomach lining)
Alfalfa and soya hulls to provide a fibrous “mat” and to help maintain a healthy gastric pH.